usable in any place a human can be used

20091229

book review: design patterns in ruby

[caption id="attachment_62" align="alignright" width="226" caption="Go buy this now"]design patterns in ruby[/caption]

I am back from the holiday break and a perfect storm has come together, I'm currently working on a rails project, and I have a wonderful girlfriend who embraces my geekiness and buys me Design Patterns in Ruby. I have been reading this thing for the past few days and can't put it down, I wanted to read a chapter last night before bed, I sleepily set it down 5 chapters later.


Just so you understand something, although I love to read, I am a slow reader, books are hard for me to get through, I also have a ton of things to read and play around with, so you better keep my attention. I have also read the classic GoF book, so I'm coming into this book well versed in design patterns. I've played with ruby a few times before, but nothing too serious (if you look back in the archives you will see that my first post was on ruby koans).


Let's talk about this great book by Russ Olsen. The book does not require you to know anything about ruby, the first chapter is, in fact, a great primer to the language. Olsen comes from a background of 25 years of software development experience, as he puts it


I have been building software for more than 25 years. I’ve done assembly language, FORTRAN, Pascal, C, C++, Python, Java and now Ruby.
  -Russ Olsen

The introduction to ruby feels like it was written for someone with programming experience in a Java-like language. Throughout the book Olsen makes reference to the Java way to do things (which will be easy to grasp for the .Net crowd too). The primer to the language is interesting in that it skips some of the core things that makes ruby what it is (the whole meta-programming, monkey patching, message passing thing). This would seem like an oversight at first, but was helpful for me as a new ruby user. I wasn't bogged down in the different of ruby, so I could focus on the same. This let me feel comfortable with the language and focus on the patterns, as we will see, these parts missing in the primer will be fully explored later in the book.


The book is structured very much like the GoF book, with each chapter focusing on a particular pattern. Olsen opens up the chapter with some example situation, then he moves into how you could solve it with inheritance or ugly code. Then the problem is re-examined, a pattern starts to emerge, and then is described. The pattern is explained in the classic GoF style with example code (in ruby) and UML diagrams, the best part though is the clear, concise, approachable explanation provided by Olsen. The pattern now being firmly understood, the book digs into the pattern and looks at ways that we can ruby-ize it. At this point we are normally treated to some new interesting ruby language paradigm that let's us quickly and easily rewrite the pattern, making it more concise and elegant. There is then a discussion of the uses, and probably more importantly, the abuses of the pattern. Every chapter ends with a nice summary of what was learned and (as I found out last night) an enticement to keep reading as the next pattern is introduced.


[caption id="attachment_486" align="alignleft" width="240" caption="Pure unadulterated rocket sauce!"]rocket sauce[/caption]

The writing is incredibly approachable, Olsen does not get bogged down in technical jargon, he explains everything that's going on in a concise and understandable way. There are copious code examples that are excellent at providing a concrete example to the abstract pattern Olsen is discussing. The author mixes in some humor here and there and will show how other programming languages implement the patterns and historical reasoning for why things are the way they are in ruby.


The overall impression I got from this book is that it is win, condensed down into ink on paper. I have learned a ton about ruby, relearned some great patterns, and gotten a great insight on the ruby way to solve problems. If you find yourself thinking, "Well I don't need to learn design patterns, I'm so smart!" Well you are not, I'm going to use one of my favorite quotes here with a bit of a twist.


Those who don't understand design pattern are condemned to reinvent them, poorly.
  -Matt Nowack (original attribution to Henry Spencer)

Design Patterns are all around you, learning these will help you solve future problems, understand how rails works (in fact there are several occasions in the book where Olsen shows how rails uses this pattern or that one). This book is a pleasure to read, and I suspect will serve as a nice reference for implementing patterns correctly in ruby. I'm glad to have it in my toolbox, and I would suggest you get it for yourself.

3 comments:

  1. Howdy Matt, enjoyed the review and bought the ebook. Looking forward to some great help with Ruby the Victus Media progress chugs along. Hey did you have Disqus and now don't ?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm new to Ruby coming from Java, and looking for good books. I will check this one out. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah great book, one of my favs! :)

    But I missed a FSM pattern. :(

    ReplyDelete